SRCC General Membership Meeting Minutes – April 19, 2022


Tuesday, April 19, 2022, 7:00  PM

Zoom Meeting


To be sure you get a vote, become a member. You can join or renew online Not sure if you are current? Email and we’ll let you know.


1.  7:00  Meeting procedures, Zoom tools, etiquette, welcome newcomers. Verification of quorum. Reminder: state your name when presenting or seconding a motion. Please see acronyms below.    

Presenter throughout: Wendy Todd, SRCC President, unless otherwise noted. (8 min)

The Chair called the meeting to order at 7:03

2.   7:08    Membership and voting. Pay multiple years in advance and get a discount. Single membership: 1-yr $20;  2-yr $35;   3-yr $50 / Family membership: 1-yr $35;  2-yr $65;  3-yr $95   NOTE: In order to vote or make motions, dues must be paid a month in advance, with the exception that if a former member’s dues have lapsed no more than 2 years, they may renew no less than 2 days prior to the online meeting to be eligible to vote. Contact to renew. (2 min) Get involved!

3.  7:10  Treasurer’s Report. All reports available upon request to the Treasurer: 

Presenter: Will Andrews, Treasurer. (5 min)

The Treasurer reviewed the income and expenses for the year to date. So far this year there is net income, though this doesn’t yet include the cost for printing the newsletter.

 4. 7:15   Reports of Committee Chairs

1) Planning and Zoning; 2) Historic Preservation; 3) Finance; 4) Mobility; 5) Public Safety; 6) Parks and Environment; 7) Schools; 8) Communications. (10 min)

Reports of Ad Hoc Committees & Representatives:

9) Norwood; 10) GSRC NPCT; 11) EROC NPCT; 12) ANC; 13) SCC; 14) South Central Waterfront; 15) St. Edward’s; 16) S. Central Affordable CDC; 17) Land Development Code Ad Hoc committee. (10 min)

  1. Planning and Zoning. See later item.
  2. Historic Preservation. Nothing to report.
  3. Finance. Nothing to report.
  4. Mobility. Orange Line released new details online, which includes a map of the stations and overall plan. The Blue Line demo will be next Tuesday night.
  5. Public Safety. Nothing to report.
  6. Parks and Environment. May 7 will be a work day at Blunn Creek from 8:30 – noon.  
  7. Schools. The Texas School for the Deaf is having a deaf book festival the first weekend in May.
  8. Communications. The newsletter has come out and is being distributed. We are working on making significant updates to the website, including transferring ownership to the neighborhood association. Interested in finding other options to get the newsletter out.
  9. Norwood. Nothing to report.
  10. GRSC NPCT. Nothing to report. 
  11. EROC NPCT. 1100 Manlove rezoning request – an agreement has been made between the owner and the neighbors. The owner has agreed to leave the front of the property as SF-3, and are planning to rezone a rear portion of the property for commercial use. This will be enforced via a restrictive covenant, though some details of the document are being worked out with the neighbors. It is expected that SRCC will be a party to the restrictive covenant.     There are 4 properties on Parker Ln that were in process of requesting a zoning change. These properties have changed hands, and it is going to Planning Commission on April 26th. There was a previous letter from a City engineer stating that no more impervious cover should be allowed on those properties due to flooding issues. SRCC has previously taken a position on this issue, and will reiterate that position to Planning Commission.
  12. ANC. Nothing to report.
  13. SCC. Nothing to report.
  14. South Central Waterfront. See later item.
  15. St. Edward’s. Nothing to report.
  16. S. Central Affordable CDC. Nothing to report.
  17. Land Development Code Ad Hoc Committee. Nothing to report. 

5.   7:35  Approve minutes from the February 2022 monthly general meeting (available at  Reminder: Schedule for General Membership meetings: 3rd Tuesday of the month, 7:00pm -8:30pm. Zoom teleconferences with occasional in-person meetings tbd. (5 min)

A motion was made to approve the minutes (Mary Freidman/Ruth Casares). No comments or changes were provided – the minutes were approved as posted.

Upcoming Meeting dates in 2022:  EC May 3; GM May 17; EC Jun 7; GM Jun 21; GM; EC Aug 2; GM Aug 16; EC Sept 6; GM Sept 20;  EC Oct 4; GM Oct 18; GM Nov 15; EC Dec 6



6. 7:40  South Central Waterfront

Update regarding April 7 meeting, Statesman PUD, VMU2 Code Change new zoning category allowing 90 feet of height in exchange for on-site affordable housing.

Presenter: Russell Fraser, Planning & Zoning Chair (10 min)

Russell was joined by Atha Phillips (an aide to Council Member Tovo) for the presentation. At last night’s meeting of the SCWAB, a quorum was not present, so the planned presentation by staff was not made.

In January of 2021 SRCC took a position in opposition to the Statesman PUD, while supporting conditions placed on the project by other groups. In April CM Tovo made several recommendations (including TIRZ info, on-site affordable housing, and that affordable housing should include multi-bedroom units), and other CMs are providing good critical review comments as well. The SCWAB has a rep from SRCC, from Bouldin, and the Parks Board (this member also happens to be a neighbor in SRCC). The Statesman PUD is one of several properties in the SCW, and is the first project that is coming up for review.

There was a question about the heights being requested of the PUD, though it is still unclear what heights the developer is seeking. 

Atha Phillips – the current motion by Council includes the recommendations made by the Planning Commission, and the Planning Commission recommendations included City staff recommendations. So the feedback to the developer is coming from multiple stakeholders.

VMU2 – an article from the Austin Monitor dated March 25 was shared. The proposed change would create 2 tiers of VMU (Vertical Mixed Use). VMU2 allows for an additional 30’ in height, as well as some additional requirements for affordable housing. However, there is a concern that multiple neighborhoods didn’t have much opportunity for review; staff justified this by stating that they weren’t changing the zoning code, but just the wording. The concern is that this could result in lowered compatibility standards with adjacent housing. We want to insist that there is a greater opportunity for the neighborhoods to review and contribute to the process.

Atha Phillips – This will come back to Council  on June 9. The mayor is interested in modifying the compatibility issues, and that is up for discussion as well. One of the concerns is that if we allow fee-in-lieu, you would get a lot of wealthy people and little diversity.

There was a comment about a piece on KXAN tonight. VMU2 would allow for increased affordable housing, but would allow fee-in-lieu. This displacement is cause for concern. Austin has not effectively implemented housing via fee-in-lieu housing funds.

7.  7:50  Vote following Nominations Committee report re: Officer and Area Coordinator Elections. 

The SRCC Nominating Committee has identified a strong slate of candidates for the election. 

The slate of candidates endorsed by the Nominations Committee includes:

President: Wendy Price Todd

Vice President: Noah Balch

Co-Vice President: Vacant

Treasurer: Will Andrews

Secretary: Dan Fredine

Membership Secretary: Mary Friedman

Austin Neighborhoods Council (ANC) Representative: Betty Weed

South Central Waterfront Advisory Board Representative: Sherri Ancipink

Area Coordinator – Area 1: Vacant

Area Coordinator – Area 2: Russell Fraser

Area Co-Coordinator – Area 3a: Jo Webber

Area Co-Coordinator – Area 3a: Sara Newsom

Area Coordinator – Area 3b: Brooks Kasson and Jason Molin 

Area Co-Coordinator – Area 4a: Sam Martin

Area Co-Coordinator – Area 4a: Carol Martin

Area Coordinator –       Area 4b: Sarah Campbell 

Area Co-Coordinator – Area 5: Neal Nuwash

Area Co-Coordinator – Area 5: David Swann

Area Co-Coordinator – Area 6: Rachel McClure

Area Co-Coordinator – Area 6: Laura Gass Weaver

Area Coordinator    –    Area 7:  Vacant

Area Co-Coordinator – Area 8: Kim Lanzillotti

Area Co-Coordinator – Area 8: Vicky Moerbe

Presenter: Dan Fredine, Nominating Committee Chair (20 min) [VOTE]

Ken Burnett nominated himself for Co-VP, seconded by Noah Balch. 

No other nominations were made. The amended slate was voted on, to include Ken Burnett as Co-VP.

Approve: 21, Oppose: 0, Abstain: 1; CANDIDATES WERE ELECTED!

8.  8:10  Zilker Rewilding Project

Update regarding future plans for the park and vote on Zilker rewilding proposal.  Presenter: Betty Weed, Parks & Environment, Communications Chair (10 min) [VOTE]

There is a concern about some of our parks being “loved to death” – including Zilker Park, which is considered the biggest and greatest. PARD put out a vision plan and asked for input on how to preserve our parks. One proposal was from Save Our Springs (SOS) and Zilker NA, Bouldin Creek NA, and Barton Hills NA. The executive summary of the proposal was reviewed – return 21% of the park to a natural state – reducing mowing and parking. This will also reduce erosion and increase water quality. It would increase the tree canopy, and reclaim the landfill. 


The existing vision plan does not include rewilding. This proposal focuses on rewilding, and making more of the park usable. We would be asking the City to consider this proposal when they come up with their long-term plan.

Both SCC and ANC have voted to support this proposal. 

This proposal would be to return more of the park to general public use, as opposed to more use by large festivals and private events.

Motion (Betty Weed/Jo Webber) : SRCC endorses the Rewilding Zilker Park Report and requests that its recommendations be included in the Zilker Metropolitan Park Vision Plan.

Approve:21, Oppose: 2, Abstain: 3; MOTION PASSED.

9.  8:20  I-35 Widening Project

Discuss two remaining design alternatives for I-35 expansion: (1) closes Woodland Ave underpass; and (2) demolishes several buildings along I-35.

Presenter: Mark Thompson, Mobility Chair (10 min)

There are 2 main options: “Alternative 2” will keep Woodland open at I-35 but will result in many buildings along 35 being displaced; “Alternative 3” will have Woodland closed, but properties in the right of way aren’t as affected and the Riverside intersection will be completely redesigned to accommodate the Blue Line train.

Fire Station maps will be adjusted to accommodate the closure of Woodland.

Noise questions – they don’t anticipate any difference in noise at all between the two options. With the I-35 main lanes being lowered, it is anticipated that noise will be reduced in the neighborhood. Noise barriers will be erected, though property owners adjacent to the walls will have the option to decline. Residents near the Mopac walls report that they are effective, especially the closer they are to the walls. 

Some buildings will be impacted/demolished regardless of which alternative is selected, especially South of Woodland. Between Riverside and Oltorf the impacts are greatly reduced by selecting Alternative 3. South of Woodland, Whip In and some others are affected regardless of the alternative selected.

Impact on the Blue Line – the Riverside SPUI (interchange proposed as part of Alternative 3) allows the Blue Line to traverse uninterrupted, but this is not an option if Woodland stays open.

It seems like our area will be the on ramps and off ramps for people that are getting on the toll roads south of us. Both of the proposed options seem to have significant negative impact in our area, and don’t seem to serve our neighborhood.

There was a question about the impact on Carlton Gardens Apartments and the Americana building. Pretty much every building on the east side between Riverside and Woodland would be affected by the Alternative 2.

At next month’s SRCC meeting Cap Metro will review the plans for Blue Line and Orange Line.

10. 8:30  Signs

Discuss new electronic and printed signs for SRCC: Get Involved!

Presenter: Mary Janecek-Friedman, Membership Secretary (10 min)

SRCC had yard signs that used to tell people when and where to come to our in-person meetings. When we changed the meeting location and days, SRCC printed new signs including that information. Those were printed right before the pandemic, and since then we have been meeting via Zoom.

The Membership Chair would like to engage as many people as possible, and is considering purchasing some new signs that do not include a location and serve to make people aware of SRCC and direct them to the SRCC website. A mock-up of the proposed sign was presented, though a change in the main text had been suggested from “meet your neighbors”, to “join your neighborhood association”. It includes a QR code that currently links to the SRCC home page, and we may consider linking this directly to the membership page to encourage people to join.

It was suggested that Ruth (Newsletter Editor) speak with Megan (Newsletter layout person) to see if they have any suggestions about the layout of the sign.

There was a suggestion that we could also add to our social media presence. It was suggested that we assign someone who is regularly on NextDoor to make major SRCC posts there regularly. The Communications Committee or Membership Committee could use a social media director/volunteer.

It was also suggested that we add a QR code to the newsletter that links directly to the membership page of the SRCC website.


SRCC has restarted the NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH program, and is looking for participants. Anyone interested should contact Tom Groce, SRCC Public Safety Chair at to get involved! 

Do you have questions about using the Neighborhood ListServ? This link will take you to information about  subscribing, unsubscribing, posting a message, and more.

Meeting was adjourned at 8:46 pm.

The next SRCC Executive Committee meeting is May 3, 2022.  

The next General Membership meeting is May 17, 2022.

Frequently used acronyms: 

ACF: Austin Community Fund

ANC: Austin Neighborhood Council (

BoA: Board of Adjustment

CDC: Community Development Corporation

EROC: East Riverside/Oltorf Combined Contact Team

FLUM: Future Land Use Map

GSRC NPCT: Greater South River City Neighborhood Planning Contact Team

NCCD: Neighborhood Conservation Combining District

NHPA: National Historic Preservation Act

NPCT: Neighborhood Planning Contact Team

PC: Planning Commission

PUD: Planned Unit Development

SCC: South Central Coalition of neighborhood associations 

SF: Single Family zoning category

ZAP: Zoning and Platting

Agenda Prepared by Noah Balch, Agenda subject to change. Please check for most updated version.

This entry was posted in Agendas and Minutes. Bookmark the permalink.