SRCC Meeting Minutes — February 2019

Monday, February 4, 2019     7:15 PM


To be sure you get a vote, become a member. You can join or renew online Not sure if you are current? Email membership@srccatx.organd we’ll let you know.


1.  7:15  Meeting procedures, etiquette, welcome newcomers. Verification of quorum. Reminder: state your name when presenting or seconding a motion. If an acronym is stated during the meeting and you don’t know what it means, please feel free to raise your hand and ask.*   

Presenter throughout: Eric Cassady, SRCC President,, unless otherwise noted.

Meeting called to order at 7:18 pm.  SRCC President reviewed procedures for meeting.Diana Gomez, field representative for Lloyd Doggett, introduced herself.

2.  7:25  Membership and voting. Pay multiple years in advance and get a discount. Single membership: 1-yr $20;  2-yr $35; 3-yr $50 / Family membership: 1-yr $35; 2-yr $65; 3-yr $95 NOTE: In order to vote or make motions, dues must be paid a month in advance, with the exception that if a former member’s dues have  lapsed no more than 2 years, they may renew at the meeting and be eligible to vote.

SRCC President reviewed voting procedures and qualifications.

3.  7:27  Approve minutes from December 3, 2018 monthly general meeting (available at

MOTION: Oliver Caruso /Claudette Lowe To approve the minutes from the December 3rd, 2018, general membership meeting. Approve=23  /Opposed=0 /Abstaining=0

4.  7:30  Treasurer’s Report – All reports available upon request to the Treasurer  

Presenter: Oliver Caruso (Treasurer)

SRCC Treasurer shared monthly report, including the new screen and projector that we are now using!!

SRCC Key finance dates:

  • Jan – Q4 and Annual finance report to EC – Complete
  •  Jan – Pay ANC membership dues – Pending
  • Jan – Pay church fees and schedule meeting dates – Pending
  • Jan – Quickbooks Membership
  • Feb – Audit Accounts/Finance Cmte EOY review

Year-end report for 2018 was shared with the membership present. (Approved at SRCC EC meeting on Jan. 21, 2019)

5.  7:35  Committee Chairs reports

1) Planning and Zoning–see item below; 2) Historic Preservation; 3) Finance; 4) Mobility; 5) Public Safety;  6) Parks and Environment; 7) Schools; 8) Communications; 9) Executive Committee;

Representatives: 10) ANC*; 11) SCC*; 12) South Central Waterfront–see item below; 13) St. Edward’s; 14) S. Central Affordable CDC–see item below

Planning and Zoning—P&Z committee chair reported about “no position” position passed at SRCC EC January mtg. For Mission Ridge variance, and introduced Dean van Landuyt who lives at 502 Sunny Lane.  

Historic Preservation—Preservation Committee reported that the committee is looking at the demolition ordinance process to see what we may need advocate for.  The first local historic district in the city is on Mary Street (from Newning Street to East Side Drive). Someone who purchased a home in the district tried to get a demolition permit, but has pulled back from that.  The Committee is watching the process carefully.

Finance—nothing to report

Mobility—Our mobility chair has had to step down.  We are seeking a replacement. Contact an SRCC officer if you can help.  A neighbor reported on changes that are happening along I-35 within our neighborhood. It was reported that our input had influence on the dedicated right turn lane in front of Travis HS onto southbound I-35. Though the project planned to remove the right turn lane, TXDoT has agreed to include a similar lane in the final configuration. All changes between Oltorf and St. Edward’s University are temporary as changes are being made.

Public Safety—Public Safety Chair reported an ongoing need for Neighborhood Watch team.  He reported that most crime is happening in the middle of the night and in the middle of the day (when most are at work).  He also shared what old (currently used) car signs look like and asked for input on changes.

Parks and Environment—P&E Chair wanted to alert the neighborhood that an “Art in Public Spaces” proposal will be put out in March and are sought from artists in the NA. SRCC will post to the website with details when the call for artists is open.

Schools—Our School Chair is out, so the SRCC President shared these events:

  • Travis Heights Elementary Project Based Learning Showcase (Feb. 7th)
  • I Heart Travis Heights Fundraiser (Feb. 8-14)
  • Homeslice Pizza as part of the Fundraiser(Feb. 11th)
  • Rummage Sale to help needy families (sale on March 2nd)
  • Donations to the school can me made online at

Communication—Communication chair checked on whether members received their monthly update.  Wordpress has changed and she wanted to be sure updates were shared appropriately.

ANC—A new website is up and running for the Austin Neighborhoods Council..

SCC—see discussion below (for St. Edwards)

St. Edwards—A priest at St. Edwards had his name released as a sexual incident was reported about him.  Although a law exists that parents must be informed, St. Edwards did not publicly report the incident at the time (1986).  At this point, he lives within 370 feet of the freshman dorm and the incident happened with a 17 year old. He also lives close to the preserve where AISD buses bring children for field trips to the Blunn Creek Preserve.  Parents of young children in Sherwood Oaks are expressing concern. The neighbor who shared this information reported that many families have turned to her to seek recommendations.

South Central Waterfront Coalition—Nothing to report.




6.  7:55  Update on SRCC ad-hoc nominating committee, formed to identify and make recommendations for candidates in the SRCC 2019 officer elections at next month’s meeting.

Presenter:Eric Cassady, SRCC President,                                                                                                

The SRCC President shared that the March meeting will be a pot-luck and election of officers. All current officers are willing to serve another year.  Most area coordinators have agreed to serve another year. We still have a need for area coordinators for areas 4a & 7. If you are interested in serving on the nominating committee, please contact Gretchen Otto (

7.  8:00  The annual “I Heart THES” fundraiser is kicking off, supporting Travis Heights Elementary School. The fundraiser will be going on February 8 through 14, and will focus on reading support.

Link to details about the fundraiser and Home Slice Night.

Presenter: Oliver Bernstein – THES Parent,

Oliver Bernstein introduced himself.  He invited members to visit the school, especially for the Project Based Learning Showcase on Feb. 7th.  The “I Heart THES” fundraiser runs from Feb. 8-14. He expressed gratitude for what SRCC has done for the school.  On Monday, Feb. 11th, HomeSlice Pizza agreed to donate 10% of their proceeds to the school.  Juke Automotive agreed to match that donation. Donations can also be made on the school website (

8.  8:05  Possible variance issue at 504 Sunny Lane. Structure has been constructed that may violate building codes. [VOTE POSSIBLE]

Presenter: Dean Van Landuyt, SRCC Resident,

Mr. Van Landuyt presented concerns about construction. He lives next to 504 Sunny Lane. He shared his concerns through a slideshow and reported the following. He is looking for recommendations on how to deal with CoA, who is not following through with violations.

Violation issues for 504 Sunny Lane in his opinion, as follows:

  • ·      Currently at 60% impervious cover (according to his calculations)
  • ·      Setback requirements not followed.
  • ·      Fence height at 25 feet
  • ·      McMansion Ordinance violated

The P&Z Committee Chair suggested notifying the CoA staff, to be followed up by a notification to Kathie Tovo.  Several neighbors suggested responding rapidly and copying Kathie Tovo and those higher than city staff with the letter.  Other neighbors suggested having the meeting be public with SRCC rather than just with city staff and the neighbor. They also suggested including Mr. Van Lunduet’s slideshow.

MOTION:  Russell Fraser/Claudette Lowe For SRCC to send a letter to the CoA Development Services Department to ask that the assigned plan examiners meet with the property owner next door (at 502 Sunny Lane), Dean Van Landuyt to review the status of the project, in particular the stop work order.  Mr. Van Landuyt also has questions on the various changes in site and construction plans. Approve=21 /Opposed=0 /Abstaining=0

Amendment:  Wendy Todd/Penelope Hyslop That the city manager, city council member, assistant city manager Gonzales be added to the notification and the meeting be public with a member of SRCC P&Z attend the meeting.   Approve=21 /Opposed=0 /Abstaining=0

9.  8:15  The Austin American Statesman tract is being redeveloped, and there are discussions about the requirements for affordable housing as a component of the redevelopment. It is possible that the developer may utilize a fee in lieu arrangement which may be held by the South Central Affordable Community Development Corporation.  Consider whether SRCC wants all affordable housing in new construction in the planning area, or would SRCC be amenable to placing the units or subsidies elsewhere within our neighborhood or within South Central. [VOTE POSSIBLE]

Presenter: Wendy Todd, SRCC Representative to S. Central Waterfront Advisory Board,

The SRCC Representative to the South Central Waterfront Advisory Board (SCWAB) introduced herself and showed a map of the vision framework plan area approved by City Council in June 2016.

She presented in order to understand the position of SRCC members about whether affordable housing targeted for the SCW should remain in the SCW; in SRCC and Bouldin; or throughout the South Central Neighborhoods that also include Zilker and Barton Hills.  The area within South Central Waterfront Advisory Board’s purview may contain housing, although the first project approved at 425 W. Riverside Drive is for commercial office space. Those who develop uses other than housing may provide a fee in lieu toward achieving a goal of 20% of new dwelling units to be within 60%-80% of median family income. An acceptable scenario would be that the the money set aside for affordable housing would be managed by the South Central Affordable Community Development Corporation board that includes former SRCC President Gretchen Otto and SRCC representative is JB Sigmon.   If you have questions, email Wendy Todd at

10.  8:30 Residents on Rebel Road are requesting SRCC support a Residential Parking Permit application on Rebel Road from Oltorf to Sunset Circle and on Sunrise Circle. Residents have documented years of problems with the body shop on Rebel Road including trespassing, working on vehicles in the street, and late night noises on a regular basis. SRCC has written letters about these violations in 2012, 2015, and 2018. In 2018 APD increased patrols, which temporarily improved the situation, but the illegal activities are occurring again. Residents feel that RPP status will allow for better enforcement.  [VOTE EXPECTED]

Presenter: Jose Martinez, SRCC Resident,

Mr. Martinez presented information about getting residential parking permits for the areas for the 2300 block of Rebel Road and Sunrise Circle, 24/7.  This proposal is supported by 100% by tenants and residents within the area. Repairs and sales of vehicles are occurring on the public street, which does not allow residents to park in front of their own homes.  APD has encouraged this application, which allow them ticketing and the possibility to tow vehicles.

MOTION: Cynthia Milne/Vickie Moerbe that SRCC support the request for RPP restrictions to the residential parts of 2300 block of Rebel Road and Sunrise Circle Approve=20  /Opposed=0 /Abstaining=1

11.  8:45 At the March 2018 SRCC General Membership meeting SRCC voted to support a Residential Parking Permit application for Braeswood Road. The permit was granted with RPP enforced between 8:00 am. To 6:00 pm Monday-Saturday. Residents are requesting a change to the hours to be 8:00 am. To 6:00 pm Monday-Friday (not Saturday). [VOTE EXPECTED]

Link to March 2018 Meeting Minutes; see Item 6.  

Presenter: Vicky Moerbe, SRCC Area 8 Coordinator,                                                       

Vicky presented information about getting residential parking permits for the Braeswood Road. This has already been presented and supported by SRCC (March 2018).  Due to a neighbor wanting to allow Saturday parking, this request is being put forward again with the adjustment.

MOTION: Eric Cassady/David Todd To support the RPP restrictions on Braeswood Road. Approve=19  /Opposed=0 /Abstaining=0


  • Elections Potluck – Need Volunteers
  • Elections Potluck is on Tuesday, March 5th. Potluck starts at 6:00 pm, meeting/elections at 7:30 pm.
  • VOLUNTEERS NEEDED! We need volunteers for several open positions including
  • SRCC is restarting the NEIGHBORHOOD WATCHprogram, and are looking for participants. Anyone interested should contact Tom Groce, SRCC Public Safety Chair attgroce71@gmail.comto get involved!
  • Greater South River City Neighborhood Planning Contact Team members are stewards of our 2005 Neighborhood Plan. To join or for information, visit this page:
  • Contact Terry Franz if interested:

*Frequently used acronyms: ACF: Austin Community Fund; ANC: Austin Neighborhood Council; SF: Single Family zoning category; FLUM: Future Land Use Map; GSRC NPCT: Greater South River City Neighborhood Planning Contact Team, NCCD: Neighborhood Conservation Combining District; SCC: South Central Coalition of NAs

  • Agenda Prepared by Dan Fredine,
  • Minutes Prepared by Mary Friedman,

This entry was posted in Agendas and Minutes and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.