As part of the 2016 Austin Mobility Bond, the Austin Transportation Department is scheduled to begin intersection improvements at South Congress and Oltorf. The goal of the planned improvements is to reduce crashes at the intersection by addressing conflict points, enhancing bicycle and pedestrian visibility and safety, and reducing dangerous movements.
What does that mean? Proposed improvements include:
• raised medians on Congress Avenue, north and south of the intersection
• reconstructing commercial driveways along Congress to reduce vehicle/pedestrian conflicts
• addition of a shared use path on Congress with defined space for bikes and pedestrians
• installation of high-visibility cross-walks and ADA ramps
• installation of more robust bicycle lanes where the shared use path terminates
Construction is anticipated to begin in January 2018 and is expected to be complete by Summer 2018, weather and other circumstances permitting.