SRCC Meeting Minutes – April 2019

Minutes
SRCC GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING  (www.srccatx.org)
Monday, April 1, 2019     7:15 PM
LIFE IN THE CITY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH (formerly Grace UMC)
205 E. MONROE, AUSTIN, TEXAS

AGENDA

To be sure you get a vote, become a member. You can join or renew online www.srccatx.org. Not sure if you are current? Email membership@srccatx.org and we’ll let you know.

CALL TO ORDER/APPROVAL OF MINUTES

1.  7:15  Meeting procedures, etiquette, welcome newcomers. Verification of quorum. Reminder: state your name when presenting or seconding a motion. If an acronym is stated during the meeting and you don’t know what it means, please feel free to raise your hand and ask.*   

Presenter throughout: Eric Cassady, SRCC President, president@srccatx.org, unless otherwise noted.

Meeting called to order at 7:18 pm.  The president reminded those present to introduce themselves and use a clear, loud voice when speaking.  If making or seconding a motion, please provide your name.

2.  7:25  Membership and voting. Pay multiple years in advance and get a discount. Single membership: 1-yr $20;  2-yr $35; 3-yr $50 / Family membership: 1-yr $35; 2-yr $65; 3-yr $95 NOTE: In order to vote or make motions, dues must be paid a month in advance, with the exception that if a former member’s dues have  lapsed no more than 2 years, they may renew at the meeting and be eligible to vote.

3.  7:27  Approve minutes from March 5, 2019 monthly general meeting (available at www.srccatx.org).

Motion:  Russell Fraser, Gretchen Otto:  To approve the minutes from the March 5, 2019, general membership meeting.  21 for, 0 against, 0 abstaining

4.  7:30  Treasurer’s Report – see reverse of agenda. All reports available upon request to the Treasurer treasurer@srccatx.org  

Presenter: Oliver Caruso (Treasurer)

The treasurer shared March’s treasurer report.  For details, contact him at treasurer@srccatx.org.

Key events:  audit completed and filed with IRS in March.

5.  7:35  Committee Chairs reports

1) Planning and Zoning–see item below; 2) Historic Preservation; 3) Finance; 4) Mobility; 5) Public Safety;  6) Parks and Environment–see item below; 7) Schools; 8) Communications; 9) Executive Committee;

Representatives: 10) ANC*; 11) SCC*; 12) South Central Waterfront; 13) St. Edward’s; 14) S. Central Affordable CDC

Planning and Zoning—Committee Chair shared that 3 cases have closed, and 2 have opened.  A property owner at 604 Sunny Lane sought a variance, but it was declined, and there still is a “stop work” order on the property.  200 Academy, where the old Opry used to be (with a large parking lot), is on our radar, as the new property owner has big plans. Neighboring property owners are not in support.

Historic Preservation—Nothing to report at this time.

Finance—Nothing to report.

Mobility—The president shared that he believes that the

Public Safety—Committee Chair reported that more drivers are needed.  New signs have been purchased. If interested, email him at  tgroce71@gmail.com.

Parks and Environment—Committee Chair shared that the improvements of Little Stacy have begun.  This Saturday, April 6th, is a work day to remove invasive plants from the Blunn Creek Preserve.

Schools–Committee Chair reported that the PTA is electing officers for the upcoming year and approving its budget.  Neighbors are invited to the end-of-year celebration at Guero’s, which will probably occur on May 7th (first Tuesday of May is tradition).  She also reported that she has been in contact with Travis HS.  They need some donations (including musical instruments).

Communications—Nothing to report

Executive Committee—Nothing to report

ANC—The president shared that notes from the most recent ANC meeting will be presented at an upcoming meeting.  SRCC is seeking a representative to attend ANC meetings (Fourth Wednesdays of the month), represent the NA position in votes, and report back.

SCC—Nothing to report.

South Central Waterfront—Our representative shared that the Statesman Tract and Hooters area are within the South Central Waterfront involvement.  If you have any concerns about access to the lake and anything happening in the area, email Wendy Todd, as the budget process has begun.  Any citizen/public works needs to be represented in the budget.

St. Edwards—Nothing to report.

S. Central Affordable CDC—Nothing to report.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

6.  7:55  Update on construction of Aria Grand affordable housing at Woodland and I-35. The builder would like to include an art project by SRCC kids as part of the construction. For more information: http://www.srccatx.org/2017/02/02/proposed-affordable-housing-development/

Presenter/Guest: Megan Lasch, Saigebrook Development, 830.330.0762, megan@o-sda.com

Ms. Lasch reviewed that at Woodland and I-35 a 70-unit affordable apartment complex, scheduled to be completed in October or November.  She is seeking community artwork for the site. In particular, the lowest level of the elevator shaft will be left without bricks and can be covered with a mural or mosaic (located in an open parking garage).  Please contact her to give input. This project would probably be installed in October. Ms. Lasch reported that there will be no in/out to Woodland.

NEW BUSINESS

7.  8:15  Consideration for use of AISD Blunn Creek headwaters tract. Possibilities include an AISD teaching farm and a ropes course for APD. This idea would transform water quality ponds at the end of Alpine Rd E into LID (low impact development) natural areas that could be used for education and training AND bring back wildlife to this area.

Link to ideas for a Master Plan for the Blunn Creek Community Connectivity Plan.

Presenter/Guest: Laura Gass, Architect and Project Manager with Square One Consulting, laura.gass@austinisd.org

Ms. Gass introduced herself as a construction project manager for Austin ISD.  She does not represent the district in this project. She has been involved with the movement of the food staff to the Central Warehouse, and the renovation of the new Central Offices at Southfield ( I-35 and Ben White).  The food staff is interested in putting in an organic farm on the Blunn Creek headwaters site. She shared that the office building at Southfield was a drive-in theater at one point.

Ms. Gass is interested in connecting the Warehouse with the Southfield building.  She suggested a hike-and-bike trail at the dead-end at Alpine, leading through the Blunn Creek headwaters area to Payload Pass (wide enough for ATV patrol by Austin Police and AISD Police).  She presented her ideas in a slideshow and pointed out the connections to the area between Travis HS, St. Edwards, AISD Warehouse, and AISD headquarters. Another consideration would be to include an AISD police ropes course in the area, which would also serve to increase police presence and deter crime. An SRCC member shared with her information about development on Payload Pass of an assisted living center.  Another SRCC member shared that we, as a NA, we have been interested in the property adjacent to the Warehouse, and encouraged AISD to NOT sell their property. (She shared that the headwaters property has been pulled off of the market.)

8.  8:35  A Restrictive Covenant was signed for the property at Woodland and I-35 where the storage facility is being constructed (formerly Reagan Signs property). Part of the agreement was that the driveway on Woodland was to be configured to require that vehicles exiting the facility take a left onto Woodland, to steer traffic away from the neighborhood. The current construction does not appear to have taken this into consideration.

Presenter: Marc Davis, SRCC Planning & Zoning Committee Member (and former SRCC President)

A neighbor who lives on Woodland noticed, when the storage property was being built, that there was an in/out on Woodland.  She discovered that a restrictive covenant exists limiting access via Woodland. Marc Davis talked with them to change the driveway to be a limited-use driveway. They are planning on re-pouring the driveway, but must go through the process with the CoA.  An SRCC member pointed out that the owner is responsible for the design and the plans, not the CoA. Until the new driveway is poured, any big trucks that will not be able to turn around will exit out onto Woodland, but will be told to turn towards the freeway, not into the neighborhood.

9.  8:45  There are bills before the state Legislature which would overrule Austin’s STR ordinances; the bills would eliminate requirements as to the number of STR’s permitted in a neighborhood plus the ordinance phasing out non owner-occupied STRs in 2022. These bills are the same as the ones which died in committee in the 2017 session. A hearing is scheduled for this Thursday morning at the capital. In 2017 homeowners from all over Texas testified against the proposed legislation and it ultimately never came up for a vote in the House.

Presenter/Guest: Mike Polston, Board member Northwest Austin Civic Association, Polston.mike@gmail.com

Mr. Polston represents a NA in area 10.  Their NA has concernes about STRs, which are also going on in their part of town.  In particular, they are concerned about Type 2 STRs, that are investment properties (owner doesn’t live on site).  He suggested that representatives from SRCC speak at a hearing this Thursday at the capital. His group is interested in getting 50 people to testify.  Members of SRCC thanked him for presenting to our group. They asked if he has a way to convey when the nuisance issue actually become a safety one. He said that the City of Austin has a requirement for Type 2 SRTs that have a pool must provide a chair to help people enter/exit the pool safely.

An SRCC member asked about connecting and working with the Hotel Lobby group, which Mr. Polston is doing again (similar coordination was done when this issue came up in 2017).  He also asked if any other cities that have enacted rules regarding STRs. Mr. Polston shared that some cities are trying, but not at the rate that Austin has. He reported that the House is more interested in hearing testimony from citizens than the mayor or city council.  An SRCC member shared that she is an owner of a Type 1 STR, and depends upon the money to be able to afford to stay in the neighborhood. She requested that a distinction be made from those where the owner lives on site. SRCC is not taking a stance on this issue at this time.  Mr. Polston just wanted to share the information so that those concerned can let Texas lawmakers know their opinion. For more information, contact him at polston.mike@gmail.com.

8:55   GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENTS

  • VOLUNTEERS NEEDED! We need volunteers for several open positions including
  • AUSTIN NEIGHBORHOODS COUNCIL REPRESENTATIVE
  • MOBILITY COMMITTEE CHAIR
  • AREA COORDINATOR – AREA 4A
  • OUTREACH COMMITTEE MEMBERS/CHAIR

Meeting adjourned at 8:46 pm.

*Frequently used acronyms: ACF: Austin Community Fund; ANC: Austin Neighborhood Council; SF: Single Family zoning category; FLUM: Future Land Use Map; GSRC NPCT: Greater South River City Neighborhood Planning Contact Team, NCCD: Neighborhood Conservation Combining District; SCC: South Central Coalition of NAs

Agenda Prepared by Dan Fredine, vicepresident@srccatx.org

Minutes Prepared by Mary Friedman, secretary@srccatx.org

Be Sociable, Share!
This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.