SRCC Meeting Minutes — October 2018

Minutes
SRCC GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING (www.srccatx.org)
Monday, October 1, 2018 7:15 PM
LIFE IN THE CITY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH (formerly Grace UMC)
205 E. MONROE, AUSTIN, TEXAS


AGENDA
To be sure you get a vote, become a member. You can join or renew online www.srccatx.org. Not sure if you are current? Email membership@srccatx.org and we’ll let you know.

CALL TO ORDER/APPROVAL OF MINUTES
1. 7:15 Meeting procedures, etiquette, welcome newcomers. Verification of quorum. Reminder: state your name when presenting or seconding a motion. If an acronym is stated during the meeting and you don’t know what it means, please feel free to raise your hand and ask.*
Presenter throughout: Eric Cassady, SRCC Co-Vice President, covicepresident@srccatx.org, unless otherwise noted.
Meeting called to order at 7:20 p.m. Eric reviewed the procedures and etiquette for our meetings.

2. 7:25 Membership and voting. Pay multiple years in advance and get a discount. Single membership: 1-yr $20; 2-yr $35; 3-yr $50 / Family membership: 1-yr $35; 2-yr $65; 3-yr $95 NOTE: In order to vote or make motions, dues must be paid a month in advance, with the exception that if a former member’s dues have lapsed no more than 2 years, they may renew at the meeting and be eligible to vote.

3. 7:27 Approve minutes from August 6, 2018 and September 3, 2018 monthly general meetings (available at www.srccatx.org).

Motion: Russell Fraser/Vickie Moerbe to approve the minutes from September 3rd General Membership Meeting. For: 19, Opposed: 0, Abstaining: 0 = PASSED

Motion: Dan Fredine/Gretchen Otto to approve minutes from August 6th General Membership Meeting. For: 19, Opposed: 0, Abstaining: 0 = PASSED

4. 7:30 Treasurer’s Report – see reverse of agenda. All reports available upon request to the Treasurer treasurer@srccatx.org
Presenter: Oliver Caruso (Treasurer)
Oliver shared this month’s report. For details, email him at treasurer@srccatx.org.
SRCC FINANCE KEY DATES
August- Sept
-Finance Committee complete Mid-$year review – Complete
-Donate $100/$500 to schools within SRCC boundaries – Complete
October
-Present initial financial projection for 2019 to EC -> prepare 2019 budget
Account reconciliation, Profit & Loss and Balance reports available upon request from treasurer@srccatx.org or financecommittee@srccatx.org

5. 7:35 Committee Chairs reports
1) Planning and Zoning; 2) Historic Preservation; 3) Finance; 4) Mobility (chair needed); 5) Public Safety; 6) Parks and Environment; 7) Schools; 8) Communications; 9) Executive Committee; 10) CodeNEXT ad hoc committee–see item below
Representatives: 11) ANC*; 12) SCC*; 13) South Central Waterfront; 14) St. Edward’s–see item below.

Planning and Zoning: Russell reported that he talked a contact at the Statehouse Apts about to the emergency gate being left open on The Circle. It is now closed. (Neighbors had reported and expressed concern.) There is a case at Mission Ridge that is being review. SRCC’s involvement with the Bickler Project is now closed. (Russell will attend a meeting, as an individual, between the neighbors and the new owner.) There is a memory care facility looking at development at Payload Pass near Walmart. We are waiting for new flood plain data before moving forward. The developers may want to renegotiate the covenants with SRCC and the Neighbor Plan group.

Historic Preservation: Nothing to report.

Finance: Nothing to report.

Mobility: J.B is our new chair. He introduced himself. And shared the following:

  • The issues that are currently underway in the neighborhood:
    • School zone on E. Live Oak at Alta Vista:
      • Austin Transportation Dept.(ATD) is going to adjust the school zone on East Live Oak near Alta Vista
      • The school zone flasher closest to East Side D. is obstructed. Public Works Department requested assistance from ATD to have them relocated.
      • ATD recommends relocating the school zone flasher closer to Alta Vista to improve visibility. Relocating the flasher will reduce the length of the school zone and will improve compliance at the school crossing at Alta Vista.
    •  Crosswalk at East Side and Annie/Woodland:
      • Stop sign located on Annie is too far away from cross walk ad is being relocated closer to the intersection.
      • Delineators will be installed to slow overall motorist traffic at this location. Date of completion is unknown at this time.
  •  These issues will be discussed with APD (Officer Black), C0A Transportation Engineering Division (Rivi Dhamrat), and Safe Routes to School Austin (Amir Emamian):
    • Speed at major “cut through” streets in the neighborhood has been steadily increasing
      • Rate of speed on East Side between Woodland and Live Oak
      • Running of stop sign at Live Oak and East Side
      • Running of stop sign at East Side and Monroe
      • Speeding on Newning south of Monroe
      • Speeding, failure to yield to pedestrians and lack of sidewalks on Mariposa between Kenwood & I-35 (only street connecting to the feeder without speed bumps or sidewalks + lots of pedestrians going to and from Whip-In
    • School zone in front of Travis High is often ignored
    • Poor maintenance on sidewalk on Oltorf between Travis High and Travis Park
    • Apartments (lends itself to the kids running across the street rather than crossing at light)
    • Hotel designated drop off areas insufficient to meet peak demand (Congress Hotel. Expect a new hotel being built at site of former Chinese buffet south of Oltorf.)
    • Scooters/bikes strewn randomly throughout the neighborhood.
      Public Safety: Tom reported that Neighborhood Watch still needs volunteers. You do not need to sign in online. Just pick up the signs on your own. Contact Tom for details. Tomorrow is National Night Out. It is suggested that you turn on outdoor lights, lock your doors, and spend some time outside.
      Parks and Environment: Nothing to Report
      Schools: Gretchen introduced herself. She shared that the next big event will be the school carnival on October 19th. Everyone is invited to participate. Tickets will be 50¢ each. They are collecting gently used toys and stuffed animals, which can be donated to the school as prizes for the carnival. Gretchen followed up with the school admin about the school zone (mentioned in Mobility).
      Communication: Nothing to Report

ANC/SCC/South Central Waterfront/St. Eds: Nothing to Report

6. 7:45 SPECIAL ELECTION: SRCC Ad Hoc Nominating Committee recommendation to General Membership that Eric Cassady, SRCC Co-Vice President, be elected to office of SRCC President. [VOTE EXPECTED]
Presenter: Carol Martin, Chair of Ad Hoc Nominating Committee and Membership Secretary, membership@srccatx.org
Carol Martin, as chair of the nominating committee for SRCC officers, reported that the committee recommends that we elect Eric Cassady as President. Dan asked for any nominations from the floor. There were no other nominations. The membership voted, 20 in favor, thereby Eric Cassady was elected as SRCC president for the remainder of the term of office.

Eric Cassady is elected SRCC President for the remainder of current term of office.

7. 7:55 On August 9, 2018, the Austin City Council directed the City Manager to develop and propose a new process leading to a Land Development Code that achieves goals set out in the City as outlined in the Imagine Austin Comprehensive Plan, the Strategic Housing Blueprint, the Watershed Protection Master Plan, and the Austin Strategic Direction 2023 Plan, resulting in the end of CodeNext. This marks the end of the work for the SRCC CodeNEXT ad hoc committee, and thus it will be disbanding. Expect another ad hoc committee to form once the City proposes a new plan for updating the Land Development Code.
Presenter: Eric Cassady, SRCC CodeNEXT Ad hoc Committee Member, covicepresident@srccatx.org
Eric reported that the CodeNEXT Committee in it’s work had done a lot of research and reading to be informed. They commented on the map, wrote letters, and provided feedback. At this time the committee is disbanding.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS
None

NEW BUSINESS
8. 8:00 Bouldin Creek Community Development Corporation is becoming South Central Affordable Community Development Corporation (SCACDC) and they are inviting other SCC NAs to join, and would like SRCC to have a representative on the board. The SRCC Finance Committee has reviewed the details and the SRCC Executive Committee has voted to make a recommendation to the General Membership. [VOTE EXPECTED]
Presenter: Gretchen Otto, SRCC Member and SCACDC Board Member, gretchenotto7@gmail.com
Gretchen reported that the Bouldin Creek Community Development Corporation came into being in order to develop a process to take money and use it for affordable housing. The NA was awarded money from a development (Hyatt) and received $43,000. The CDC took proposals, and designated the money for a Blackland Development. The Corporation found the NA of Bouldin to be too limiting, and have expanded to all of south central Austin, bounded by Lady Bird Lake, Ben White, Mo-Pac, and IH-35. Due to the changes, the name has changed to South Central Affordable Community Development Corporation (SCA CDC). They have invited all NAs in the area to join. If a development arises where the project sets aside moneys for affordable housing, the Corporation can help shepherd those monies. The EC made a recommendation to appoint J.B. Sigmon as SRCC’s representative to the board. Gretchen shared information about an office development (Snoopy PUD) at the current Hooter’s location. Some of the moneys from that development ($50K) will be under their purview. In addition, they can seek grants from the city to supplement any projects. There was a question about whether NAs were formally joining the CDC. Sam Martin reported that SRCC would not be under legal jeopardy by participating. Gretchen shared that there wasn’t really a formal procedure to have the NA join the CDC, but having a representative on the board would help give the NA a voice.

MOTION: Carol Martin/Penelope Hyslop To accept the recommendation from the Executive Committee for J.B. Sigmon to represent SRCC on the board of SCACDC. For: 20, Opposed: 0, Abstaining: 1 = PASSED

9. 8:15 Recently St. Edward’s University had a fireworks display and failed to give nearby neighbors advance notice; this is not the first time this has occurred. Neighbors would like to engage Council Member Renteria (St Ed’s is within his district) in working on the processes related to fireworks displays. [VOTE EXPECTED]
Presenter: David Swann, SRCC Member, expfc@att.net
David expressed appreciation to Carol and Gretchen as the Nominating Committee. He then shared that he has sent a letter to Council Member Renteria asking for a change in the way fireworks displays are permitted as exceptions to the city-wide ban on fireworks. David reported that there were many neighbors who reported noise from the fireworks display at St. Edwards on Sept. 7th. Many did not get prior notification. David reviewed the current procedure for planning fireworks displays and found it does not include consulting and reporting to neighbors. He shared that previous years’ attempts by St. Eds to notify the affected neighborhoods have been inconsistent and only partially successful. One neighbor reported that she spoke with the public liaison for St. Edwards prior to the event this year reminded them that in previous years St. Eds had put signs up on Congress and in the neighborhood to let neighbors know. David reported that there were a few signs and they were very last-minute. Another neighbor reported that we’ve had the liaison from St. Edwards at SRCC meetings in the past. It was discussed that we request her (Liz Johnson) to attend a SRCC meeting this year. Another neighbor shared that these fireworks have been held during a drought when there has been a burn ban. He asked that this information be included in any letter. David presented this motion:

WITHDRAWN MOTION: David Swann/Wendy Todd: SRCC to write a letter to the CoA requesting that the procedure for approving fireworks within the city amended as follows:
In recognition that fireworks create noise and a risk of harm to people and property, the permitting procedure must be supplemented to include provisions that (1) interested members of the public will have a reasonable opportunity to ask that the permit not be granted, (2) that all within the likely area of noise and risk of harm will be notified before the event occurs, and (3) that the applicant will bear the full cost of these supplemental procedural requirements.

Discussion: What is the current process? David reminded us that fireworks are illegal within the city. David reported that the entity pays a fee and applies to the City to obtain a commercial permit. The City has a recorded procedure with specific requirements (primarily through the Fire Dept.). The City has right for approval of the permit, and current procedure has no provision for public input. Another neighbor asked about other Fireworks events, such as 4th of July and New Year’s Eve, and pointed out that notification would be broad throughout the city. Suggestions for amendments to the motion were made. David pointed out that the motion does not mention the role of St Edwards, and that the motion addresses the current process that applies to all commercial fireworks displays throughout the city. Eric suggested creating a short ad hoc committee to develop letter with specific language. He also suggested that Elloa participate, as she is the SRCC rep to St. Eds.. Other members pointed out that this motion has started a good conversation. After discussion, David withdrew the motion, and Eric suggested that a meeting be requested with the liaison. An ad hoc committee is being formed.

10. 8:25 AISD is planning to rename Fulmore Middle School. Our guest would like AISD to consider naming it after John Trevino, Jr., the first Mexican American elected to the Austin City Council, who also served as Mayor Pro Tem and Interim Mayor.
Presenter/Guest: Hermelinda Zamarripa, UT Latino Studies Advisory Committee,hzamarripa@utexas.edu (10 min)

Gretchen shared the process that Austin ISD is using to rename schools within the district. The Fulmore Taskforce has submitted 3 possible names to the AISD Board of Trustees, who meets at the third Monday of each month: Sarah Beth Lively (a teacher who taught at the school for a long time and volunteered there after retirement), South Congress Middle School, and Moontower Middle School.

Gretchen introduced Hermelinda Zamarripa to report about another option. Ms. Zamarripa discussed the renaming of Fulmore. She shared information about John Trevino, who lived in a south central neighborhood and rose to prominence in the city through St. Vincent de Paul. He grew in the 1600 block of South 2nd Street. He went to Fulmore. He became noticed by graduates of UT, who approached him about talking to educators about the psychology of the poor. John grew up poor, working from the age of 5 shining shoes and selling newspapers. He left school as a junior and served in the military as a paratrooper. Upon returning to Austin he joined the St. Vincent DePaul society and was appointed director of the East First Neighborhood Center. Bulk Trash Collection started with John. Through his involvement with East First NC, he got meals on wheels started in Austin. The Austin Tenants council was created through his work and he helped setting up help for those who need it in getting tax forms completed. Prior to John Trevino, Latinos had no representatives on the City Council. John was elected in 1975 on his second try. He worked to bring diversity to the City. He held other positions in the City, UT Austin, and the board of Capitol Metro. Because of his record of service, Ms. Zamarripa (his niece) asks our support in renaming Fulmore for him.

Members of SRCC asked if Fulmore is the best school to be renamed after him, and if any other entity (a street or building) has been named for him. There are plans to open a park named after him. Ms. Zamarripa shared that his attendance at Fulmore makes it a good choice. She pointed out that the school has made their decision, but she feels part of the process would be community input. If you are interested in supporting, please contact her (email address above). It was suggested to Ms. Zamarripa to talk to the Bouldin NA as well.

8:35 GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENTS

  • The last day to register to vote is Nov. 9th. Several neighbors have registration forms.
  • VOLUNTEERS NEEDED! We need volunteers for several open positions including
    • AREA COORDINATOR – AREA 7
    • AREA COORDINATOR – AREA 4A
  • SRCC is restarting the NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH program, and are looking for participants. Anyone interested should contact Tom Groce, SRCC Public Safety Chair attgroce71@gmail.com to get involved!
  • Greater South River City Neighborhood Planning Contact Team members are stewards of our 2005 Neighborhood Plan. To join or for information, visit this page: http://www.srccatx.org/about/greater-south-river-city-neighborhood-plan/
    Contact Terry Franz if interested: tmfranz@airmail.net

Meeting adjourned at 8:45 pm.

*Frequently used acronyms: ACF: Austin Community Fund; ANC: Austin Neighborhood Council; SF: Single Family zoning category; FLUM: Future Land Use Map; GSRC NPCT: Greater South River City Neighborhood Planning Contact Team, NCCD: Neighborhood Conservation Combining District; SCC: South Central Coalition of NAs

Agenda Prepared by Dan Fredine, vicepresident@srccatx.org
Minutes Prepared by Mary Friedman, secretary@srccatx.org

This entry was posted in Agendas and Minutes. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.