SRCC GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING MINUTES
Tuesday, March 6, 2018 7:30 PM
LIFE IN THE CITY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
(formerly Grace UMC)
205 E. MONROE, AUSTIN, TEXAS
CALL TO ORDER/APPROVAL OF MINUTES
1. 7:30 Meeting procedures, etiquette, welcome newcomers. Verification of quorum. Reminder: state your name when presenting or seconding a motion. If an acronym is stated during the meeting and you don’t know what it means, please feel free to raise your hand and ask.*
Presenter throughout: Gretchen Otto, SRCC President, unless otherwise noted. (10 min)
The meeting was called to order at 7:15 p.m. Sam Martin shared that Christ Lutheran Church provided tables and chairs for tonight’s potluck. In addition, many other neighbors brought the tables and chairs for our potluck and will be returning them after our meeting.
2. 7:40 Membership and voting. Pay multiple years in advance and get a discount. Single membership: 1-yr $20; 2-yr $35; 3-yr $50 / Family membership: 1-yr $35; 2-yr $65; 3-yr $95 NOTE: In order to vote or make motions, dues must be paid a month in advance, with the exception that if a former member’s dues have lapsed no more than 2 years, they may renew at the meeting and be eligible to vote. (2 min)
3. 7:42 Approve minutes from February 5, 2018 monthly general meeting (available at www.srccatx.org). (3 min)
Betty Weed/Kathleen Littlepage to approve the minutes from the Feb. 5, 2018, general meeting 37 for, 0 opposed, 2 abstaining = Passed
4. 7:45 Treasurer’s Report – see attachment to agenda distributed at the meeting; all reports are available upon request to the Treasurer.
Presenter: Nancy Byrd, Treasurer (5 min)
Nancy Byrd shared a spreadsheet of our monthly expenditures and current balance. She also shared a forecast for the coming year.
5. 7:50 Committee Chairs reports
1) Planning and Zoning; 2) Historic Preservation; 3) Finance; 4) Mobility; 5) Public Safety; 6) Parks and Environment; 7) Schools; 8) Communications (chair needed); 9) Executive Committee; 10) CodeNEXT ad hoc committee
Representatives: 11) ANC*; 12) SCC*; 13) South Central Waterfront; 14) St. Edward’s (10 min)
6. 8:00 Application for Residential Parking Permit on Braeswood, initiated by residents and supported by St. Edward’s University. Residents are requesting a vote of support from SRCC. VOTE EXPECTED. Proposed language:
“SRCC to support the Residential Parking Permit application for Braeswood Road, 8:00 am to 6:00 pm Monday – Friday and and 1:00 pm to 6:00 pm on Saturday.”
Braeswood RPP Neighborhood Association Endorsement Form
Information about the Residential Parking Permit Program
Presenter: Vicky Moerbe, SRCC Area 8 Co-Coordinator, Braeswood Resident, and Applicant firstname.lastname@example.org (15 min)
Vicky Moerbe shared the changes that have occurred since she moved in the neighborhood in 1979 to now. Since 1979, St. Edwards has expanded buildings into what used to be their parking lots and failed to replace the parking spots. Currently, the residents have difficulty finding parking on either side of the street. They are asking for one side of the street to resident-only parking. The numerous cars parking on the street now prevent guests and services to park near to the homes. This permit would affect 11 properties, 9/11 residents are in agreement on asking for permit parking. Gretchen shared with the group that the process for getting the application approved with the city, neighborhood association approval is required first. Several neighbors shared more about the process and asked about the cost of the process. In addition, the impact of approval on surrounding streets (when parking shifts) was discussed.
Paula Kothman/Robert Reeves to support the Residential Parking Permit application for Braeswood Road, 8:00 am. To 6:00 pm Monday-Friday and 1:00 pm to 6:00 pm on Saturday. 35 for, 2 opposed, 5 abstaining = Passed
7. 8:15 Application for grant from Austin Parks Foundation for invasive control and native replanting in the Blunn Creek Nature Preserve. VOTE EXPECTED. Proposed language:
“SRCC to support the applications for grants from the Austin Community Foundation and the Austin Parks Foundation for invasive control and native replanting in the Blunn Creek Nature Preserve”
Presenter: David Todd, Parks and Environment Co-Chair, email@example.com (10 min)
David Todd shared information about grants that will be used to remove non-native species and replace with seeds and plants. A member of SRCC asked if the fire department was done placing a buffer between the preserve and neighborhood homes and David reported that they were.
Elloa Matthews/Betty Weed to support the applications for grants from the Austin Community Foundation and the Austin Parks Foundation for invasive control and native replanting in the Blunn Creek Nature Preserve. 44 for, 0 opposed, 1 abstaining = passed
8. 8:25 Report from the Nominations Committee/Officer and Area Coordinator Elections
Presenter: Carol Martin, Nominating Committee Chair (20 min)
Carol announced the following nominations and the election was held.
- President – Vacant / We are continuing to seek a candidate for president
- Co-vice president – Dan Fredine 42 for, 0 opposed, 0 abstain
- Co-vice president – Eric Cassady 45 for, 0 opposed, 0 abstain
- Treasurer – Oliver Caruso 45 for, 0 opposed, 0 abstain
- Secretary – Mary Friedman 40 for, 0 opposed, 0 abstain
- Membership Secretary – Carol Martin 45 for, 0 opposed, 0 abstain
- Area Coordinators – voted in by acclamation
8:45 GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
- VOLUNTEERS NEEDED! We need volunteers for several open positions including COMMUNICATIONS CHAIR and PRESIDENT
- Greater South River City Neighborhood Planning Contact Team members are stewards of our 2005 Neighborhood Plan. To join or for information, visit this page:
Contact Terry Franz if interested: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Austin Monitor discount: SRCC16 for 20% off subscription
*Frequently used acronyms: ACF: Austin Community Fund; ANC: Austin Neighborhood Council; SF: Single Family zoning category; FLUM: Future Land Use Map; GSRC NPCT: Greater South River City Neighborhood Planning Contact Team, NCCD: Neighborhood Conservation Combining District; SCC: South Central Coalition of NAs