SRCC GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING
Monday, August 1, 2016 7:15 PM
LIFE IN THE CITY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
(formerly Grace UMC)
205 E. MONROE, AUSTIN, TEXAS
CALL TO ORDER/APPROVAL OF MINUTES
1. 7:15 Meeting procedures, etiquette, welcome newcomers. Verification of quorum. Reminder: state your name when presenting or seconding a motion. If an acronym is stated during the meeting and you don’t know what it means, please feel free to raise your hand and ask.*
Presenter throughout: Sounthaly Outhavong, SRCC Immediate Past President, unless otherwise noted. (5 min)
2. 7:20 Membership and voting. Pay multiple years in advance and get a discount. Single membership: 1-yr $20; 2-yr $35; 3-yr $50 / Family membership: 1-yr $35; 2-yr $65; 3-yr $95 NOTE: In order to vote, dues must be paid a month in advance, with the exception that if a former member’s dues have lapsed no more than 2 years, they may renew at the meeting and be eligible to vote. (2 min)
3. 7:22 Approve minutes from June 6, 2016 monthly general meetings (available at www.srccatx.org). (3 min)
MOTION: Nancy Byrd/ Kathleen Littlepage – to approve the minutes from the June 6th meeting = PASSED 22 for, 0 opposed, 0 abstain
4. 7:25 Treasurer’s Report – see attachment to agenda distributed at the meeting; all reports are available upon request to the Treasurer. Presenter: Nancy Byrd, Treasurer (5 min)
5. 7:30 Committee Chairs reports
1) Parks, Schools, Environment; 2) Planning & Zoning; 3) Transportation & Public Safety; 4) Norwood; 5) Historic District; 6) Finance; 7) ANC*; 8) Communications; 9) CodeNEXT (10 min)
—ANC Rep James Bilodeau reported on the July 27th meeting of th Austin Neighborhood Association. See James’ ANC meeting notes posted to website. James asked for a vote to support two ANC resolutions:
(1) Support an ANC resolution to request that the City to continue efforts to preserve and increase the stock of safe, affordable housing – see attached
MOTION: Elloa Matthews/ Garret Nick – to support ANC’s resolutions (attached) PASSED 21 for, 3 opposed, 2 abstain
(2) Support an ANC resolution aksing the City to form and fully staff a City depoartment devoted to neighborhood issues,– see attached
MOTION: Betty Weed / Elloa Matthews – to support ANC’s resolutions (attached) PASSED 21 for, 2 opposed, 2 abstain
7. 7:40 Diane Presti is moving and is stepping down as Vice President effective Sept. 5. Please email Gretchen (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like to volunteer or nominate someone.
Presenter: Sounthaly Outhavong (5 min)
8. 7:45 Presentation about St. Edward’s University plan to build operations building on St. Edward’s Drive and related traffic issues (POSSIBLE VOTE)
Presenter: Elloa Matthews, SRCC Area 5 Co-Coordinator (10 + 5 min Q&A)
—Elloa Matthews, SRCC’s liaison with St. Edward’s University leadership, made a presentation about St. Edward’s plans to build an operations building on property south of St. Edwards Dr between Carnavon Dr. and Sherwood Dr. This plan includes a loading dock capable accepting deliveries by 18-wheeler semi trucks entering the drive by way of St. Edwards Dr. The residential subdivision north of St. Edward’s, Sherwood Oaks, has already experienced local traffic issues due to student cut-through traffic and event attendees, especially baseball game traffic. This new building will add to these nuisances by adding 18-wheelers driving through this residential area. Discussions to relocate this building to land already adjacent to commercial uses have not been successful. The City approved the site plan on July 29th City permit 2016-005489 SP.
Elloa asked for a vote to support the Sherwood Oaks community in resisting this project adjacent to this residential area.
Resolution: The South River City Citizens nieghborhood association opposes St. Edward’s University’s attempt to use our residential neighborhood for commerical operations. (full text of resolution on website)
Motion: Robin Schneider/Bob Stewart to support the resolutionPasses 24 for, 0 against, 3 abstain
Robin Schnieder asked that SRCC pay for yard signs to oppose St. Edwards’ building plan. Leadership explained the process to apply for SRCC funding for neighborhood projects.
8:00 GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
Presenter: Sounthaly Outhavong
● VOLUNTEERS NEEDED! We need volunteers for several open positions: Vice President, neighborhood watch program organizer, Special Events Chair to organize the July 4 picnic, a new Communications Chair, and a Newsletter Editor.
● The public is invited to join VisionZero ATX for an open community meeting to discuss traffic safety in Austin. Wednesday, August 10, 6-8pm, 800 Brazos Street, 4th Floor
● Austin Monitor discount: SRCC16 for 20% off subscription
Account reconciliation, Profit & Loss and Balance reports available upon request from email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
*Frequently used acronyms: ACF: Austin Community Fund; ANC: Austin Neighborhood Council; SF: Single Family zoning category; FLUM: Future Land Use Map; GSRC NPCT: Greater South River City Neighborhood Planning Contact Team, NCCD: Neighborhood Conservation Combining District
Minutes prepared by Nancy Byrd