There’s a new South Central Waterfront Plan Initiative launching in January 2013. The South Central Waterfront Plan will establish a vision and provide a cohesive set of recommendations to guide public and private development over the next 20-plus years.
The Plan will help ensure that privately developed properties and publicly financed amenities will work in tandem to create a beautiful public realm that supports a lively, attractive pedestrian environment, creates great public spaces, and enhances connections to and along the waterfront.
To kick off this whole process there will be a city organized walkabout on January 11th to help familiarize everyone with the properties in question and the scope of the project. You can read all the details here: http://www.austintexas.gov/event/waterfront-walkabout.
Here are a few details:
- 505 Barton Springs Road. Google directions: http://bit.ly/transitdirections
- Meet in the lobby of One Texas Center building (Barton Springs Rd. & South First St.).
- The event will take place rain or shine.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes and clothes. Be prepared to walk 1.5 miles outside for about 2 hours.
- Family-friendly! Pets allowed out on the trail. Bike and vehicle parking available.
- Light refreshments will be provided.
To learn more about this effort, visit the official city website: http://www.austintexas.gov/waterfront
Garret Nick has volunteered to represent the SRCC during this process but the walkabout is open to the public.