Austin Public Library and Austin Energy are hosting an event at the Twin Oaks Branch Library (1800 South 5th Street) Saturday, October 15 from 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. The use of the wattmeter will be demonstrated, and you can bring in any item you would like to test. The person with the scariest phantom load will receive a prize. Find out exactly how much electricity all of your plug-ins are drawing (with power on and off ) by checking out a wattmeter at the Austin Public Library. Beginning October 15, you can check out one of the easy-to-use wattmeters for three weeks through any of the libraries. You will also find a good selection of books and materials on energy efficiency and conservation tips. You might be surprised to discover that some of your every- day household appliances use quite a bit of electricity when they are plugged in but turned off. Called “phantom load” or “vampire power”, this energy drain can account for about 10% of an individual home’s electricity use – enough electricity to more than pay an electric bill one month of each year. Plugging devices like the TV, DVD player, and DVR into a power strip and switching it off when not in use can save you a surprising amount of money.
Sign Up For Our Monthly Update
Join Us On Social Media
Who We Are
South River City Citizens is an Austin, TX, neighborhood association founded in 1972 to give the residents a voice in their community. SRCC covers Travis Heights, South River City, South Congress, St. Edwards and other parts of South Austin (Map Here).
If you would like to become a full member, please visit our Membership & Dues page.
General membership meetings are currently postponed until May 2020. Please see this website post for more information. They are usually held at 7pm on the third Tuesday of the month at Good Shepherd on the Hill at 1700 Woodland Ave.
- Urgent Action Needed from Community as Number of Staffed ICU Beds Reaches Critical Levels July 30, 2021
- (07/30-08/01) Austin Public Health and Travis County Partner with Community Organizations for COVID-19 Vaccination Clinics July 30, 2021
- Austin-Travis County Marks the 900th Death Due to COVID-19 July 30, 2021
- Arrest Made in July 17 Homicide at 6th and Neches Streets July 30, 2021
- APD Release of Critical Incident Briefing video, April 9 Incident July 29, 2021
- Agendas and Minutes
- Austin Neighborhood Council
- District 3
- District 9
- East Riverside/Oltorf Combined Contact Team (EROC)
- Finance Committee
- Greater South River City Neighborhood Plan Contact Team
- Historic Preservation
- Neighborhood Watch and Patrol
- Norwood House
- Parks and Environment
- Planning and Zoning
- Public Safety
- Sherwood Oaks
- South Congress Avenue
- Travis Heights-Fairview Park Historic District
Admin and Feeds