The New Central Library project staff and consultants have now finished the Schematic Design Phase (30% Complete Design) will present the plans to the Design Commission and Library Commission on Monday, September 26, 2011. The public is welcome to attend this meeting at 7 p.m. at the Austin History Center, 810 Guadalupe Street. Attendees can view the electronic drawings for the new facility and provide comments on its developing design to the consultant architects. The presentation will also be given to the Austin City Council on Thursday, September 22, 2011.
The New Central Library will be located on Cesar Chavez at Shoal creek. To see a map, go to http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/library/downloads/newcentlib_map.pdf
The Central Library’s collection outgrew the building’s capacity more than 15 years ago. In November of 2006 voters approved a bond to construct a $90 million new Central Library to replace the 110,000 square foot John Henry Faulk Central Library that was built in 1979. On December 11, 2008 the Austin City Council selected the Joint Venture of Lake | Flato Architects and Shepley Bulfinch Richardson and Abbott to design our city’s new Central Library.
Tentative Schedule for the New Central Library
- December 9, 2010 – Architectural Building Program approved by Council
- January, 2011 – Design Phase initiated
- August, 2011 – Council approval of a Professional Services Amendment with the design team
- Fall, 2011 – Schematic Design completed (30% completed design); City Council, Library Commission and Design Commission briefed
- Spring/Summer, 2012 – Design Development completed (60% completed design); City Council, Library Commission and Design Commission briefed
- Summer, 2012 – Design Phase completed
- Spring, 2013 – Construction Document Phase completed
- Summer, 2013 – Guaranteed maximum price approved by Council
- Summer, 2013 – Permits received, Groundbreaking Ceremony, construction begins
- Fall, 2015 – Construction completed
- Winter, 2015 – Grand Opening Ceremony Celebrated