Dear South Congress Improvement Project Stakeholder,
Safety and mobility improvementsÂ along the South Congress corridor, which began June 1, are quicklyÂ moving forwardÂ and will soon include conversion of parking to back-in angle parking. NewÂ parking striping is expected to begin July 5 pending any unforeseen delays.
Multiple outreach efforts will beÂ made to ensure awareness throughout the community of the upcoming change toÂ parking. Outreach efforts include:
- NotificationÂ to all local media outlets
- ElectronicÂ message boards both north and southbound to notify drivers of upcomingÂ change to parking.
- Back-inÂ angle parking signage will be placed along the street curb
- BeginningÂ Wednesday, June 29, parking ambassadors will be present along SouthÂ Congress in areas with back-in angle parking to distribute educationalÂ flyers on back-in angle parking.
- OnceÂ striping of back-in angle parking begins, parking ambassadors will helpÂ assist drivers in need of guidance while backing into parking spaces.
- Parking ambassadors will continue to distribute flyers and assist driversÂ for roughly 1 week depending on need.
Please note parking ambassadors willÂ be wearing yellow vests and will be provided with a chair and umbrella toÂ protect them from the heat. Ambassadors will be positioned along the sidewalks,Â 13 on either side of South Congress, for a total of 26 ambassadors during peakÂ business hours.
During this rollout period, if youÂ are a S. Congress business owner in an area with back-in angle parkingÂ and are interestedÂ in helping assist your customers by demonstrating back-in angle parking, weÂ recommend parking 1 car in front of your business as a guide for other drivers.
Please note a grace period of atÂ least one month will be given to all customers using back-in angle parkingÂ along South Congress. No citations will be written during this time.Â Educational brochures will continue to be placed on driver windshields forÂ those who may have parked incorrectly.
If you have specific questionsÂ regarding back-in angle parking, or questions regarding the outreach process,Â please contact Leah Fillion or Ed Beaudet for immediate assistance.
Public InformationÂ Specialist